Friday, May 21, 2010

Too much milk!!!

I've had different problems this time around. Right now my biggest one is too much milk. We actually found that it was making our son fussy. The Breastfeeding Book by Dr. Sears mentioned fussiness can be caused by too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk being eaten. The baby still gains weight like a champ, but doesn't get as much fat in the milk so it goes through their system very fast and makes them fussy. Biggest symptom is green poop instead of the regular mustard color.

Yep, that was a problem I didn't expect. Now that I'm back to work I've been struggling with how to deal with this. If I was just at home it's a simple solution...only feed the baby off one side at each feeding. That will regulate your supply and help the baby get that hind milk goodness. Pumping at work recreated this problem though. At first I though I'd just pump less and for less time, but then we'll have the problem of too much foremilk with expressed milk. So I have decided to solve this by pumping more than enough and just finding another baby that needs milk too.

www.milkshare.com is a great resource and there are lots of mommies on there desperate to give their babies milk, but for one reason or another cannot. If you are blessed enough to be able to provide only breastmilk to your baby I highly encourage you to look into donating too. Even if it's just a little bit it matters and if you donate regularly you not only get to help another baby, but that extra session or two burns 100-200 extra calories and you can save a little for your little one just incase ;)

1 comment:

Debbie Jones said...

I think it is so cool that you share your milk!